1881 -- Perry House -- by Kalklosch
Thomas Perry of Colorado purchased the lot (probably two 40-foot wide lots) near the Basin Spring for $2500 and began construction of his hotel which measured 56 feet by 80 feet standing 5 stories high.
Capt. Perry's house is situated within 100 feet of the celebrated Basin Spring; has the water in every room in the house, and electric bells, and it is furnished with all the modern improvements, and there will be a passenger elevator put in the house the coming spring, having been contracted for. The terms are very reasonable, the charges being from $7 to $12 per week, according to room and location.
1884 – Cutter’s Guide – “The Eureka Springs of Arkansas”
The hotels and boarding houses of Eureka Springs are numerous. The Perry House is the only real first-class hotel in the city, and we say this with no disparagement of the Southern, Hancock, Harper, or other houses that would be the first-class houses but for the Perry House.
The Perry House — 1881 – 1890
This first-class hotel was built around two-years ago, by Mr. Joseph Perry, of Colorado. A gentleman who has built more good hotels on the line of the railroads in Kansas City and Colorado. Mr. Perry came to Eureka Springs as an invalid and considered incurable, but he was so quickly and perfectly cured of his sufferings that he felt grateful enough to build a fine hotel. He has not only built a fine house, but has furnished it throughout in the best manner, and keeps it in first-class style in every particular.
About the Fire of 1888
The fire of 1888, "originated in a dentist shop just opposite the Blocksom-Newton undertaking parlors, which at that time was known as the Hancock house, and was operated by Major Waddill. Mr. Billy Brown was rooming there, and was first to discover the fire, and at once gave the alarm. The Hancock house was burned as well as all the buildings between it and the Perry house, which was where the Basin Park hotel now stands. The Ohio house, a hotel of about thirty rooms stood next to the Perry house with a bridge between. The Ohio house burned but the Perry house was safe for the time being."
About the Fire of 1890
"The Perry house was a hotel of sixty rooms and was considered one of the most up-to-date and modern hotels of the time. One of its most distinguished guests was a flour king who, with his family came here and stayed a year. It was while Mr. Lamar was cooking for this hotel that it caught fire and burned everything in it. This was the fire that burned out Mr. Blocksom just opposite the Basin Spring. It swept on down and set fire to all the buildings on Main street. Starting in with the Grand Central hotel, it burned everything clean to where Chandler's hardware is now, which at that time was known as the Hughes house."
Perry House Footprint at bottom left shown in 1886 Sanborn Map
More photos of the "Perry House" are found elsewhere under "Prior Hotels"